Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SIEM Solution Recommendation

From: David Escalante <david.escalante () BC EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:31:49 -0400

It depends upon what you're getting them for.  I don't view them as interchangeable solutions, and they cost a lot of
money, plus the monitoring one does once they're installed.  Can you share more detailed requirements as to what the
SIEM is expected to do, how big an environment it has to scale to, what number of FTEs you intend to have tend it once
installed, etc...?

Also, people replying to this message should bear in mind that this mailing list is archived and made available to the
entire Internet essentially forever, so endorsements or disparagements of specific products will be public for a long
time, and when you say "we use X at school Y" that is also available to any bad guy trying to penetrate you assuming
they do some research on Google on hit upon any information your message(s) reveal in this mailing list....
--
David Escalante
Boston College

We are in the process of doing dog and pony shows for SIEM solutions and I would like to get a general perspective of
what you have experienced in-house and those that belong in the out-house :-)

We are looking at:
ArcSight
RSA
NitroSecurity
NetIQ

to just name a few. Any thoughts would be very helpful. Please feel free to contact me directly.