Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SIEM Solution Recommendation

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:52:50 -0700

 I've been relatively content while being in denial about the McAfee take over, but it isn't helping with folks
bringing it up! :)

 I've heard two stories: the first is that McAfee will leave them alone and keep them as an independent company. The
second is that there will be some sort of integration with e-Policy. I feel reasonably confident that McAfee will more
or less leave them alone, and that while the SIEM may end up working well with e-Policy, they will be kept separate.

 One issue to consider is that just about every SIEM has been purchased by someone. My  greatest fear is proprietary
lock-down of sorts: a SIEM isn't worth much if it isn't highly adaptable to very diverse environments.  The SIEM story
overall, I think, has quite a bit yet to be written: they've emerged from being nascent technologies that are something
that can be very useful, but now that they are becoming more mainstream with these acquisitions, how they will the
major vendors handle them?

Brian Basgen
Director of Client Services (Acting)
& Information Security Officer