Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA

From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () SO MNSCU EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 18:11:37 +0000

One additional nuance to "blocking" P2P via certain technological means is worth mentioning.

Our rateshapers  have separate policy subclasses for tracker traffic and transfer traffic, for P2P protocols like
Bittorrent.  If you shape the superclass of Bittorrent down to an unusable level (say, 10kbps), that's still quite
enough for the content owners' hired guns to determine that someone on your network is "making available" material
which the hired guns believe to be copyrighted.

As such, it seems possible to make Bittorrent unusable, and recapture bandwidth, and still not reduce your DMCA notice
volume at all.  From what I can tell, the hired guns don't even *attempt* transfers, but instead rely on offer
advertisements as the basis for their takedown notices.

   -jml