Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pre-Breach Requirements - 18 States

From: Jack Suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 14:52:50 -0400

My understanding is that If you are a public institution it really doesn't matter what another state does, you should
be covered by your local states laws. States generally don't have the power to enforce local laws in  another state. In
a situation where Mass. Is trying to enforce it's laws on a Maryland agency, this becomes a federal case and I just
don't see that happening where a judge would rule that Maryland government agencies must observe Mass laws. That is the
whole point of sovereign rights bestowed to states.

A private institution may be in a different situation as would a public that sets up remote facilities in another state.

I do agree we have a mess with the hodgepodge of state laws.

Jack Suess
UMBC Division of Information Technology (DoIT)