Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pre-Breach Requirements - 18 States

From: "j.price" <j.price () DOMAIL MARICOPA EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:11:10 -0700

This question was raised last several weeks ago:

Can you tell me if your attorneys have determined that you have to
comply with all 50 (or 46) state requirements rather than merely your
own state? This has been a discussion here and I’m interested in what
EDUs are thinking on this.

I surveyed International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)of which I am a member and these were some of the answers I received:

Answering from a higher education institution, we never thought to NOT notify everyone affected. Our standard procedure, from even before we had a state law, has us notifying all affected persons and all the same way. And we also over-notify, that is, we (one might say excessively) err on the side of notifying, so it is unlikely that we would not notify when another state thought we should have. We do not have the resources to study each state or country and alter our notices or procedures to make subsets of our notifications fit various state or foreign country requirements. But, we believe that by following standard best practices for breach notification we are meeting nearly all state law provisions.

Merri Beth Lavagnino, CIPP, CIPP/IT
Chief Privacy Officer and Compliance Coordinator
Public Safety and Institutional Assurance
Indiana University

We have handled our situations in the same manner described by Merri Beth. The only caveat to this is that since the State Attorney General's Office is our legal counsel, that office has notified other entities as they believe appropriate (e.g., additional law enforcement, the Governor's Office, other Attorneys General, etc.). Since we are so close to Massachusetts and a large number of our constituents reside there, we have tried to take their state law's language into account in drafting our notices, for example. But we are short on resources as well, so we try to use one notice where we can. We have also tried to get ahead of the game where we can and notify the local/regional media where appropriate.

Rachel Krinsky Rudnick, JD, CIPP
Assistant Director of Compliance/Privacy
Office of Audit, Compliance & Ethics
University of Connecticut

The breach notification laws each specify that notice is to be given to “affected residents” of the particular state, therefore state of residence of the student is determinative. There are no exceptions for educational or non-profit institutions.

Cynthia J. Larose
Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, P.C.

The answer from a LEGAL perspective is "It depends." Some state data breach notification laws have extraterritorial reach and some do not. However, from a PRACTICAL perspective, is that if you determine that you have to send notice to some, you may want to consider sending notice to all - even if some of them live in the states that don't have data breach notification laws.

You don't really want to be in a position where you get a phone call from the Attorney General of a given state asking why you didn't notify the people from her state and your answer is, "Well, your state data breach notification law didn't require it, and [other state's] did."

John Nicholson | Counsel, Global Sourcing Practice Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP

As a practical matter, it is less expensive to comply with the requirements of all 46 states than to pick a fight with an Attorney General and litigate the issue.

Philip L. Gordon,
Littler Mendelson