Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Who is doing "backups" and HOW are you doing backups??

From: "SCHALIP, MICHAEL" <mschalip () CNM EDU>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 11:09:30 -0600

Hi folks.....(I hope this is the right "group" - if not, point me in the right direction….)

We finally moved to a split data center model - so we have network storage in geographically separated data centers
now.  So - we're operating under a hopeful premise that we can now do without a DLT/LTO tape library??

•       What technology or methodology is your institution using for backups?
o       Tape?
o       DVD or CD?
o       Blu-ray?
o       Other?
•       What is your backup schedule like for institutional data and/or servers?
o       How often?
o       What type of data has to be backed? -
o       How do you handle "archiving"?
•       Do you provide any kind of "user level" backups?
o       Do you back up home directories?......how long do you keep them?
o       Do you back up all user e-mail?.....how long do you keep it?
o       Do you back up anything from the users' desktop?......how long do you keep it?

Any data would be appreciated…..

Thanks,

Michael

--