Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HEOA Question

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:05:19 -0500

On 1/31/11 10:39 AM, Dexter Caldwell wrote:
This is a very difficult problem for a few reasons:

The DMCA notices themselves include only source host on your network,
time stamp and sometimes a protocol and filename.  I don't think I ever
see the destination, and certainly not the port or session number you'd
need to decipher the NAT logs.

Not a destination address, no, but almost all of the ones I've seen
recently do have a client port listed. We don't NAT, so I'm not certain
this is the public-IP port visible on the connection or the private-IP
port as reported by the P2P client, but it's there.

I checked notices we received from MediaSentry, BayTSP, ESA, PeerMedia,
and the RIAA...all list a port, address, protocol, filename, and timestamp.

--
Best regards
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.oberlin.edu/cit/

"Support the troops. . . . But don't force them to fight an immoral
fight. That's like swearing allegiance to a gun without caring where
it's aimed." -- Steven Weber.