Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HEOA Question

From: Dave Inman <dave.inman () VISTAONE COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 09:35:49 -0500

I'm not sure that this would do the trick for the initial scenario as Mr.
Derwostyp (it may depend on where the appliance were to sit relative to
where the NAT takes place), but there are traffic shaping solutions that are
able to integrate with user-agents like Active Directory, RADIUS, and NAC
solutions--which might alleviate the pain of having to track down end-users
by IP and or MAC.

My sense is that if the NAT is being done at the firewall or some other edge
device, then such a solution could be viable--as it would see all of the
internal IP addresses and/or user names before the NAT took place.

*Dave Inman*
VistaOne Corporation
10001 Patterson Avenue, Suite 101
Richmond, VA 23238
804.972.3622 (phone)
804.497.5889 (fax)
edu.vistaone.com | *internet performance, compliance, & secuirty for edu™*

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Harry E Flowers (flowers) <