Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Summer Research Positions at UAB

From: Gary Warner <gar () CIS UAB EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:26:44 -0600

If you have an undergraduate computer science, criminal justice, or forensics science department, would you please
consider forwarding this email to that area as well?  Thank you!

* PLEASE POST *

We are still accepting applications for Year 2 of the NSF REU program at UAB.  The National Science Foundation Research
Experiences for Undergraduates program provides a great chance for undergraduates to gain valuable hands-on experience
in the research process.

This interdisciplinary program invites exceptional undergraduates to spend eight weeks this summer at UAB in one of
three research tracks:

 - Criminal Justice
 - Forensic Science
 - Computer Forensics

A $450 weekly stipend plus free lodging, $30 per day for food, rec center membership, and up to $250 travel assistance
are only some of the benefits.

Last summer's teams did amazing projects, including identifying computer mouse and cell phone owners by DNA analysis,
and using data mining to identify top criminals in an online credit card trading network.

If you know some amazing undergraduates, please encourage them to visit this webpage to learn more and to apply:

http://www.cis.uab.edu/UABCrimeREU

The computer forensics track, which I manage, includes exposure to malware analysis, hard drive analysis (using
EnCase), open source intelligence (using Maltego and other tools), as well as exposure to our Spam and Phishing
research projects.  Students in our track regularly interact with law enforcement in the scope of their research.

The deadline for applications is February 18th.  Please forward to any interested undergraduates you may know.

--

Gary Warner
Director of Research in Computer Forensics