Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: File Hosting/Sharing Services [dropbox, mobile me, etc.]

From: "Pratt, Benjamin E." <bepratt () STCLOUDSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:23:36 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Vight
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:21 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] File Hosting/Sharing Services [dropbox, mobile me, etc.]

You can use any of those file sharing services (RapidShare / hotfile
etc.) -- but to keep the files private, I would suggest encrypting &
compressing them with a tool like 7-zip (which is free):

http://www.7-zip.org/

Send the password via e-mail (or over the phone), so only her and her
peer can decrypt them.

Jeremy Vight
UMass Amherst
OIT Help Desk

Is anyone aware of a free or low-cost file sharing service in which
the host cannot access the files? I have a solo medical practitioner
who needs to share files between her and a peer and they have very
basic IT infrastructure.

What other options would you recommend in this case?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Chris Kidd

Information Security and Privacy Office

University of Utah

650 Komas Drive, Suite 102

Salt Lake City, UT 84108

Office: 801.587.9241

Cell: 801.747.9028

chris.kidd () utah edu <mailto:chris.kidd () utah edu>

http://www.secureit.utah.edu

-----End Original Message-----

Sending password over e-mail, unless that e-mail is encrypted with something like GPG or PGP, is an incredibly scary
thought.

Ben Pratt
St. Cloud State University