Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA Notification Notice ID: 14-25709908

From: "A. Harry Williams" <Harry () MARIST EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:05:58 -0500

On 12/29/2010 9:43 AM, Jacobson, Dick wrote:
And this morning a letter (not a notice) from the same Osama Hussein, Esq.,  from BayTSP  (I thought it was representing MTV
(the email is from mtvn_p2p_no_reply) but the letter just lists 8 companies(MTV is not one of them) and says "...  one
of which is the owner of exclusive rights alleged to be infringed herein.)  The email makes no attempt to be a takedown
notice and, in fact, the body of the letter contains :
--------------------------
Nothing in this letter shall serve as a waiver of any rights or remedies of the Rights Owners with respect to the
alleged infringement, all of which are expressly reserved.  This notice is without prejudice to the positions that (1)
17 U.S.C. 512 does not apply and (2) you have an affirmative obligation to prevent or limit infringement of the Rights
Ownerb

In complying with this notice, North Dakota State University Computer Center should not destroy or spoliate any evidence
which may be relevant in a lawsuit relating to the infringement alleged herein, including the infringing files and all
associated electronic documents and data relating to their presence on North Dakota State University Computer Center's
IP addresses, which shall be preserved while disabling public access, irrespective of any document retention or corporate
policy to the contrary.
--------------------------

Any thoughts on this one ?  Or does this discussion also need to go to a more private place ?  (Would the ICPL list be
more appropriate ?)

I have had several  "discussions" with Steve Worona over the years since we started out on directly opposite sides of this issue
and have watched the "responsible" agents move more to our way of thinking.  Now, however, ....

It might make more sense over on ICPL, since it becomes more policy than true "security" issues, so I'm cc: ICPL too.

My concern is that even though these are not DMCA formatted, they do appear to be something that could trigger e-discovery rules, and there is the issue does this trigger the "Red flag" exemption to the safe harbor provision.

According to http://www.educause.edu/wiki/E-Discovery+Guideline+and+Toolkit the e-discovery clock starts upon "institution is put on notice by a party that litigation is or may be imminent". That second paragraph of theirs seems to imply that litigation is imminent and that you need to save logs for potential e-discovery. It's wording may not be strong/clear enough to make it imminent, but do you want to chance it? IANAL, but that is the issue I would want to discuss with General Counsel, and no matter what you/I think or your/my lawyer thinks, what's most important is what the man/woman in black robes thinks.

again, this is probably ICPL material and follow up discussion should be there.

/ahw

/ahw