Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Enabling a job applicant to resume a submission later

From: "Flynn, Gary - flynngn" <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 21:59:07 +0000

I hesitate to suggest this on a security list but if you assume the unknown
person is responsible for their own credentials on an external service and
your terms and conditions state that once they start an application that it
will be available to the external service using the initially provided
credentials, something like OpenID might be usable assuming you're willing
to integrate it with your app. Google has a pretty extensive looking page
explaining what needs to be done to use gmail accounts for federated
authentication using OpenID technology:
http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/docs/OpenID.html

At some point afterwards, though, you'd have to verify their identity before
taking any actions that assume anything in the application is actually tied
to the claimed identity. Wouldn't want to be calling job references for
someone who didn't actually submit an application