Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Bandwith management, traffic shaping

From: Dexter Caldwell <Dexter.Caldwell () FURMAN EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:27:17 -0400

Hi All,
        Request for help.  I know some of this has come up in past discussions.
We are considering replacing our current bandwidth management platform
with another due to the fact that we are beginning to see some challenges
with it.  We are in the  planning stages for a replacement technology.  We
currently use a Blue Coat/Packeeter product which has served us fine in
previous years, but we are now sort of outgrowing it. Any recommendations?

What other bandwith management technologies do you any of you use that
you're happy with?

Some features of interest to us are:
-accuracy of detection
- a strong platform in terms of throughput (10G capable)
-strong flexibility in managing traffic (all the normal stuff, plus
possibly schedules)
-support for multiple Internet links or (BGP or other gateway protocols)
-high number of protocols/signatures (more than just p2p)
-scalable platform with central management
-any DMCA management features
-ease of management (learning curve is okay if platform is worth it, but
we are a small team wearing many hats)
-typical features that we all use or appreciate having such as granular
bandwidth management, dynamic allocations, etc.
-good reporting and dashboard overviews.
-any other features you think are useful

If you have a platform recommendation that is worth looking at regardless
of the features above please respond with product and your general
experience.  We will do the homework.  (I saw Procera's Packetlogic
sugested recently, but we are looking into others as well.)