Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

iPad and access to university ERP

From: Theresa Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:18:40 -0400

I just received this email from a department manager:

"First thing I did was installed an app called Remote Desktop Lite (free). I
used that to remote into my Windows machine on my desk and it worked
beautifully. I pulled up Banner and found it to be really easy to work with
on the iPad. What I liked the most was I didn't have to tab into the entry
fields. I could touch them and the cursor would move. If I only had that on
my desktop!"

Wonderful....  So I'm thinking what is open on the desktop and what is the
security of the transmission.  We force VPN use from off-campus.  I thought
we had the remote desktop thing handled in terms of accessing our ERP.

Am I unreasonably concerned?

--
Theresa Rowe
Chief Information Officer