Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Current Best Practice regarding Password Change policy

From: "Harry E Flowers (flowers)" <flowers () MEMPHIS EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:48:21 -0500

This reminds me of my VMS days... someone tried exactly that to get around the password history.  Trouble was, the VMS
software engineers had thought of that and required selection of an auto-generated random password if you reached the
history limit during the set history lifetime.  I had mercy on him and ended up bumping up the history limit on the
system so he could set a new password without being forced to choose one of the generated ones. :)

It would be easy to implement this sort of thing for password changes on identity management web sites, too, without
having to resort to minimum times between changes.  I think *not* allowing someone to change their password is a bad
idea.  There are too many reasons someone might want to change their password again soon, such as logging in from a
public computer that they worry might have had a key logger installed or they noticed someone looking over their
shoulder.  Someone savvy enough to write a password-change script in an attempt defeat your password history security
policy can appreciate having to use a randomized password for a while. :)
--
Harry Flowers