Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: copyright infringement notices volume

From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 06:15:20 -0500

I *had* meant to send my policy query only to Jeff but given the sudden but inevitable betrayal by my MUA, I'm
interested in BT control policies, as some I've seen apply to bulk-transfer only, and others apply to control and
discovery traffic.  Do you do full-block or radically-degraded service, etc?

It occurs to me that blocking BT via bulk-transfer policies without also limiting tracker and other discovery traffic
may net one the worst of both worlds;users grumpy about not being able to transfer fiels, *and* DMCA notices due to
uncontrolled tracker traffic.

I can take private responses if you don't feel comfortable putting specifics onto the list.

   -jml

Daniel Bennett <dbennett () PCT EDU> 2010-09-17 06:03 >>>
We use a combination of the IPS on our ASA and an Exinda.  A couple of years ago we had 80-100 notices at the end of a
semester within 1-2 weeks.  We not make a best-effort attempt to block P2P file sharing.  We have not had a notice in
over 2 years.