Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance question

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:24:44 -0400

Not if you don't accept the card .. there is no way for them to come after you if their is no MID associated with the
service.

One of their biggest sticks is that they will block your account .. this is not very effective if you don't have an
account :-)

PCI was designed to protect the CC industry from vendors that are not protecting the CC data - if your not doing business with them(the CC industry), then their rules do not apply.

PCI is not a law, it is something cooked up by the CC industry to move the risk back to the vendors taking the cards.

Joel