Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance question

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:08:17 -0400

 On 7/8/2010 3:01 PM, Lazarus, Carolann wrote:
My issue with this is that he said the machines transmit the CC to the server.  I'm not an expert, but I believe any
transmission of CC falls under PCI, even if the transaction is rejected.  The transmission has to be secure.  IMO

Along a similar vein...

I caught the tail-end of a committee meeting request to put a "Red Box"-like machine on
campus to rent DVDs and video games.  It takes [real] credit cards.  They wanted an
"Internet" connection from us.

Is the PCI responsibility on the box-owner/vendor, or will we become the unwilling
participant in a PCI network by providing such a connection?

Not sure where "the buck stops" with respect to a turnkey appliance sort of device, nor
exactly how it technically differs from a user doing CC transactions from their own
computer (over our network).

Jeff