Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question about Endpoint Encryption

From: David Grisham <dgrisham () SALUD UNM EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 09:50:51 -0600

Thank you Gregory,
We purchased McAfee Total Protection suite (endpoint encryption, DLP, device control). We wanted central control from
EPO. So we were sold and installed the latest Version 6. That version turned out to be really a version 1 rewrite and
our pilot found too many problems to deploy across the enterprise.
-- Also we were told we could use DLP with version 6 when we purchased. Turns out that feature won't be released until
fourth quarter 2010.
We have started our pilot again with the highly recommended version 5 SafeBoot product. As we literally got the server
up yesterday, I can't give you a pro or con on this version.
A couple of things:
01. McAfee currently requires a separate purchase to encrypt McIntosh and full support for Macintosh and Apple products
reportedly is not available yet.
02. EPO has made deployment in the previous version and I expect version 5 very easy from the console without
technician intervention.
03. I will reserve judgment on functionality of their endpoint encryption on Windows 7 using version 5 until we get
agents deployed and devices encrypted with employees being able to work.
              (Version 6 & Windows 7 has a number of issues that make it not deployable in our environment). Windows XP
deployed and functioned fine with version 6. But we are moving to Windows 7 on all machines and really need a product
for that OS.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, if anybody else has McAfee pro or con stories please share
or let them know I'm interested please.
Cheers.-grish
David Grisham, Manager of ITSecurity
UMN Hospitals

Gregory N Pendergast <gnpendergast () VCU EDU> 9/2/2010 8:58 AM >>>
I'm looking for feedback on endpoint encryption solutions - both
products you've used or are using and your experiences. VCU purchased
GuardianEdge some time ago, but we've run into a number of problems that
have delayed our deployment and caused me to lose confidence in the
product, to the point that I'm considering dropping it and looking for a
different solution. The problems we've encountered are generally
post-installation failures that lead to the computer failing to boot,
inability of user to login and/or failure of drive to encrypt after
installation.

My question is two-fold. First, if any of you are using an endpoint
encryption product (specifically targeting laptops at this point), what
are you using and would you recommend it to others? Secondly, if any of
you are using, or have used GuardianEdge, have you experienced similar
failures and have you had any success resolving them? We keep reaching a
point where the vendor wants us to ship them our laptops for diagnosis.

If any of you are using GuardianEdge, I'd also like to pick your brain
more directly, either by phone or email, on your experience with the
product. So, if you're willing, contact me off list to discuss further.

Thanks,

--
Gregory Pendergast
Interim Information Security Officer