Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Back on topic.... Re: [SECURITY] University credentials used by third parties

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:27:09 -0500

On 08/25/2010 10:55 AM, Mike Porter wrote:
What was the violation?

The obvious, unless you consider double standards a violation.

The problem that users woud need to store a password, likely the regular one, at gmail in order to use imap?

right.

We ended up with a convoluted system to avoid some of those issues.

Care to elaborate? I presume that the only solution to this problem is to require token-passwords for IMAP in lieu of the real passwords.

Jesse