Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Logon Disclaimer

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:42:05 -0400

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:27:54 EDT, Shaun Gray said:

Would anyone be willing to share their logon disclaimer? I'm currently developing
one for our organization, but don't want to reinvent the wheel here.

One thing to note is that it's really hard to do a proper generic logon
disclaimer, because in many cases, it's an automated process doing the login
(think POP/IMAP access to a mailstore, etc).  You probably want tailored
disclaimers for each service - stuff that makes sense for an ssh login probably
doesn't for your web portal, and vice versa.  You may also want to tailor different
warnings for your student-access services and the ones used by administrative
staff, and so on...

Or you can just punt and make the disclaimer simply "By accessing this service, you
agree that you have read the AUP in <insert document here> and that you
consent to said policies".