Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Network Access Control and Privacy

From: "Yonesy F. Nunez" <yonesy.nunez () NEWSCHOOL EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:59:35 -0400

Hello,

We recently moved our Network Access Control for wireless network login from
Cisco to Impulse Point's SafeConnect product. While we had previously only
required Windows based laptops to install the NAC software agent, we are now
requiring both Windows and Mac machines to install it. We require
authentication to gain access to the wireless network and do very basic
posture checking on the Windows machines only (for now), to ensure that they
are running an up to date anti-virus product.

We have had some small amount of resistance from Mac users to this new
system, as a few of our constituents have claimed that the agent
installation is tantamount to spyware on their computer. We have posted a
statement about why this agent is not spyware, but we continue to hear about
some people feeling otherwise. Has anyone else found themselves in similar
situation? If so, has your institution addressed the concerns of those who
may feel this way and how have you done so?

Best regards,

Yonesy

--

Yonesy F. Nuñez | THE NEW SCHOOL

Director, Information Security

Office of Information Technology

55 W 13th Street, Rm 705

New York, NY 10011

P| 212.229.5300 x4728

F| 212.647.8211

 <mailto:E%7Cnunezy () newschool edu> E|nunezy () newschool edu