Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail account owners?

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 11:40:27 -0500

On 05/19/2010 02:35 PM, Jason C. Belford wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2010 13:49:11 EDT, "Behun, Michael" said:
Consider sending a note to the account, asking to stop the activity.
In the message put the note as an image on your webserver.

The preferred image is a 1x1 pixel transparent GIF - kind of tough to
spot unless you have *really* good eyes. ;)

In my experience, Gmail accounts do not show remote images by default.  Getting the user to actually push the "Display
Images Below" would be the only way that the image would be requested (and thus IP identified).  Has anyone used this method
and actually been successful?

A 1x1 pixel transparent GIF is also a pretty good way to tip off anti-spam scanners. You would be better off using your university logo.

This is a useful utility for ensuring that your email client (desktop or web, local or cloud) does not leak privacy information. I used it to identify a minor privacy leak with our web mail client, which our vendor has now patched.

https://secure.grepular.com/email_privacy_tester/

The utility performs what appears to be a comprehensive set of tests; including the recently publicized DNS pre-fetch issue:

https://secure.grepular.com/DNS_Prefetch_Exposure_on_Thunderbird_and_Webmail

Jesse Thompson
UW-Madison