Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail account owners?

From: "Jeffrey I. Schiller" <jis () MIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 16:22:21 -0400

On 05/19/2010 03:35 PM, Jason C. Belford wrote:
In my experience, Gmail accounts do not show remote images by
default.  Getting the user to actually push the "Display Images
Below" would be the only way that the image would be requested (and
thus IP identified).  Has anyone used this method and actually been
successful?

Yes. A few years ago... against a Yahoo account. The website was
engineered so that when the image was viewed it would send an SMS to my
phone. The IP address was on our campus and I was able to dispatch
someone to "eyeball" the perpetrator.... nailed!

                        -Jeff

--
Jeffrey I. Schiller
MIT Network Manager/Security Architect