Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DNSSEC Deployment

From: Michael Sinatra <michael () RANCID BERKELEY EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 13:40:43 -0700

On 05/17/10 13:00, John Kristoff wrote:

For example, I've asked repeatedly for operators to show some convincing
evidence of the Kaminsky attack being used in the wild, including
Kaminsky himself.  So far I've seen none.  I don't doubt it has
happened, I just haven't seen it.  I'd love to see it.  I've got a tool
that does it, but I've never seen it or a knock-off used in the wild.
Maybe as long as the DNS changer infections and malware works, who
needs to poison caches?

To keep tooting my own horn, I cited Rumsfeld's Razor in one of my DNSSEC presentations, although I was not the first to do that--I just can't find the previous reference in google. (There are a few competing definitions of Rumsfeld's Razor, and I am talking about the one embedded in the remarks that Robert Dugger made to the FDIC:

"Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld was recently given the 2003 Foot-in-Mouth Award by the British Society for Plain English. The Secretary’s award-winning comment was, “…we know there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know.” Logic says there is a fourth category: things we do not think we know or do not want to admit we know, but actually do – the "unknown knowns". Thus four kinds of uncertainty make up what I will call "Rumsfeld's razor".")

At any rate, the fact that we can't currently put our finger on Kaminsky-style attacks doesn't necessarily mean that the DNSSEC technology is bad (which was the gist of my question--what is the reason for skepticism of the DNSSEC technology). Implementing DNSSEC protects us against unknown unknowns as well. Now, I am totally with you when it comes to the question of whether the increased risks and complexity of DNSSEC outweigh the mitigation of rather amorphous risks.

Still, this seems to be more straightforward than the types of risks that got us all to implement TCP-MD5 of BGP peering sessions, and I think we can pretty much say that that was a big bust. (I am much less sanguine about the success of the various sBGP proposals than I am about DNSSEC, btw.) Where I see increasing benefit from DNSSEC is that the activities currently underway are collectively lowering the risks and difficulties associated with signing. There are now more tools out there to do DNSSEC, those tools are getting more flexible and easier to use, and there are more ways of monitoring and visualizing DNSSEC than before. The experience- and knowledge-base is rapidly growing. DNSSEC isn't a no-brainer, but it's becoming less of a brainer than it was before.

That said, there may be some utility with DNSSEC beyond the Kaminsky
cache poison and if so great.  I'd love to hear how its helped for
real problems if you can share some.  I'd love to be able to
demonstrate to folks how DNSSEC has helped those that use it.  We
should be updating our Secure BIND Template soon.  I'm assuming we
should add the necessary DNSSEC bits there for it?  Feel free to send
your comments about that or other secure BIND items off line if you have
them.

Yes, there is. If you look on the dnsext/namedroppers mailing list, there are skeptics who believe that while DNSSEC is a bit much for simply securing the A record lookup for www.berkeley.edu, it *is* useful for embedding other things. For example, at UCB, we're beginning to place SSHFP records into the DNS to allow ssh clients to use DNS to validate the ssh host-keys for servers. Such a step is of limited utility if you don't have a mechanism for validating the very DNS responses you're getting.

There are several other possibilities, such as CERT and KEY records. I don't want to make any bold predictions, but we should open up our minds to the possibility that there may be better PKI trust mechanisms than the standard X.509 mechanism and DNSSEC may be one of them. (It's hard to imagine anything harder or more over-engineered than X.509.)

The part in my mind that's still fuzzy is whether the technology is bad or whether our implementations just aren't up to snuff and/or expose us to too much risk. Many people say that they're skeptical of the technology and then actually discuss implementation issues that can easily be fixed within the existing protocol specifications (or with minor modifications thereto).

michael