Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you allow your vpn clients to do split tunneling?

From: "Reynolds, Walter" <waltr () UMICH EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 08:45:02 -0400

We allow it but actually have two profiles centrally with a split tunnel and a full tunnel option.  We however do not
have a lot of the same filters in place around the network.  That being said I feel that if you allow machines on other
networks and then allow them to connect through the VPN without a NAC solution you are still compromising the security
of your internal network.

---
Walter Reynolds
Principal Systems Security Development Engineer
ITS Communications Systems and Data Centers
University of Michigan
(734) 615-9438