Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you allow your vpn clients to do split tunneling?

From: Greg Washburn <gwashburn () MBC EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 14:37:19 -0400

We do not allow true split tunneling but we have started allowing local lan
splitting.  This enables the user to continue to print to ip printers and
connect to ip storage devices located on their local lan while still sending
a majority of their traffic across the VPN.
I will say however, I'm sincerely considering a full split tunnel solution.
Of course, the requirements for personal firewall, proper OS and software
patching, and malware defense needs to be implemented first and foremost to
minimize the security concerns of an outside intruder using the vpn client
machine as a hop into our internal network.  I however, feel like the
requirement for those security posture improvements need to be there anyway
to avoid attacks from the client itself and not just an intruder from
another network.
The benefits of split tunneling are nothing to shun for sure.  Reduced load
on the VPN server, a reduction in Internet bandwidth at the VPN server site,
and a likely much faster web experience for the end user comes to mind.
As to the security concerns, I will not say they shouldn't be considered but
even without split tunneling those concerns need to be addressed.  The same
method an intruder would use in a split tunnel situation can be used when
the client is not connected to the VPN and can que up some serious
maliciousness.

Greg Washburn
CISSP, CCNA, MCSE
Sr. Network/System Admin