Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Timeout/Lockout Settings

From: James Farr '05 <jfarr () UTICA EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:52:40 -0400

There is a recent discussion on implementing timeout/lockout settings.
Seems like most people were in the 15-30 minute time frame.  We are hoping
to do the same here.

I wanted to focus more specifically on the difference between lab and office
environments.  We are an Active Directory shop.

Do you have different restrictions for Faculty and staff in their offices
vs. when they are using a lab environment?
If so how do the lockout mechanisms differ from their lab environment to
their offices?
Do you do all this with Active Directory or do you use other software to
assist in this process?

We certainly do not want the Head of The Ministry of Silly Walks area to
forget to log out while in the lab, but at the same time we don't want the
machine to go into lockout mode in the middle of a webinar, showing a movie
or some other event where there may be long times of inactivity by the user.

James Farr
Information Security Officer
Utica College
jfarr () utica edu