Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Centralized Antivirus Recommendation

From: "King, Ronald A." <raking () NSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 17:12:23 -0400

I compared McAfee, Symantec and Sophos a few years back.  We chose Sophos based on its ease of management compared to
the other two.  As for performance, Sophos appeared to perform better.  The only thing we really see is when the system
first starts up and Sophos immediately updates itself, but, this usually isn't too intense.  I am in the process of
moving to Enterprise Console 4 from 3.5 and then to Endpoint Security 9 from 7.  Base on the documentation, it looks
really easy.

Management is much easier and faster with Sophos.  I think that is what impressed me the most.  While others are going
with a web based management using Java, they suffer from a serious performance degradation.  McAfee had things missing
dependent on the browser you used. When we had Conficker hit us, we were able to quickly respond.  If we used one of
the others, I don't think it would have gone as well (as well as a virus outbreak could).  We have one of our OUs for
labs tied directly to a management group and a group policy based install for anything new that is tied to Active
Directory.

Support has always been great.  We had 8 or 10 hours of help, maybe more, deploying.  They helped design our standalone
client for off-site installs, assisted in active directory integration, and gave tips for working with the MS SQL DB
backend.  For general support, they are very fast at getting back to you if you call and leave a message.  Most of our
stuff goes through email and is usually taken care of in a day.  For the Conficker issue I referred to earlier, they
spent a good amount of time helping to include educating me on how the bugger worked.

The only thing we have had to deal with is an add-on for IE.  Though I haven't had any issues, there have been others
that disable the web add-on to resolve their issue.  EC 4 and Endpoint 9 have the ability to turn this off.  I'm hoping
there is functionality to allow and disallow options for it.

One thing we are really excited about in the new release is the software control and PII scanning.

I've had limited experience with the other three, which includes none from a centralized management standpoint.  But,
for what it's worth, ESET tended to block legit apps by default.  AVG has so many components, including the web scanner
that it has slowed down systems.  I no longer recommend the freebie.  Kapersky, I have no experience with.

Anyway, these are my 2 cents based on what we have dealt with for 2 years.  We are renewing for at least another one
and have no plans to change.  Sometimes it's good to be kept out of the papers.

Feel free to contact me for any further information of list.

Ronald King
Security Engineer
Norfolk State University
Marie V. McDemmond Center for Applied Research
Suite 401
700 Park Ave.
Norfolk, Virginia  23504
Phone:  757-823-3918
Fax: 757-823-2128
Email: raking () nsu edu<mailto:raking () nsu edu>
http://security.nsu.edu