Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: quick poll please.. unauthenticated wireless

From: Timothy Payne <tpayne1 () MACALESTER EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:40:29 -0500

Jacob...

Do you offer unauthenticated wireless for conference facilities?

Yes.  We offer campus-wide 'guest' wireless.  It has a 12 hour
timeout, and each time a person connects they have to agree to our
AUP.

Is that wireless encrypted?

No.  We wanted to guest network to be as trouble-free as possible for
the end users, so we went with the least common denominator in all
aspects.

Is it a completely separate network / just internet access only?

It is a completely separate VLAN and only has access to the internet.
We also only allow port 80 and 443 traffic.

I'd be happy to discuss this off-list if you have any other questions.
 We struggled for a long time to come up with a policy and plan for
guest wireless that everyone could at accept.

Tim Payne, CISSP, CISM, CCNA
Network Administrator
Macalester College
tpayne1 () macalester edu

Getting kick back about our model of wireless network access and I need a
quick poll:

Do you offer unauthenticated wireless for conference facilities?

Is that wireless encrypted?

Is it a completely separate network / just internet access only?

Thanks.

Jacob Barros

Network Administrator

Grace College and Seminary