Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: attempts sending fake phishing messages to students and/or employees

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 08:41:09 -0500

On 06/09/2010 09:31 PM, Eric Case wrote:
What about something like:

This is a test of the Phish System.

Instead of sending out a mass email that is out of the context of the threat, try this:

We add a warning to the beginning of the content of every message that is rated as spam and also triggers anti-spam rules indicating that the message is a scam.

See this page for more details:
http://kb.wisc.edu/wiscmail/page.php?id=13293

Users periodically look in their Junk Mail folders where they will eventually and inevitably see some scam messages. But with this set up, they will first see our warning. By seeing the warning in the context of the threat, they should be better prepared to identify a scam that slips past our spam scanners.

Jesse Thompson
UW-Madison