Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: attempts sending fake phishing messages to students and/or employees

From: Dave Kovarik <david-kovarik () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:21:32 -0500

I'm a firm believer in testing all aspects of controls especially where
people (near simultaneously the strongest and weakest link in security chain)
are involved but I believe Sam Hooker identified the key component
in the words "garnering the express support of top management"...
With one exception, I have yet to have top level management
agree in practice that phishing one's own community was a good idea.
The exception was when I was operating as a consultant and charged
with testing security of the client - if it went badly from a PR view,
the client management could lay it off on the consultant (which they did).
- Dave Kovarik, Northwestern University