Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please do not change your password

From: "Jones, Dan" <Dan.Jones () UMASSMED EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:39:06 -0400

IMO this advice is misguided. The article asserts that the cost incurred with users changing their passwords does not
offset any resultant security gains.

Strong passwords deter brute-forcing attacks (as does the practice of locking an account after X number of failed login
attempts). The problem is that passwords are being harvested - so it doesn't matter how strong they are. The take-home
for me is that if changing passwords costs too much, then we need to implement two-factor auth to compensate for
password harvesting.

Dan