Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: What's wrong with application whitelisting?

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 12:19:02 -0700

Lewis,

 AV vendors have been talking about white listing for a long time. In theory, desktop white listing is an interesting
idea, but implementing this is challenging, maintenance intensive, and context specific.

 Take your example of a border firewall with a default deny. How many rules are necessary for most large institutions?
Considering a dedicated border firewall, we are likely looking at a very limited and relatively straight forward rule
set. By contrast, how many applications need to be white listed? Start with just Windows XP -- how many applications
are part of the OS? How many applications are in use throughout the institution? How many different versions, etc?

 White listing is likely using application checksums, which means any time a program is modified, updated, etc, the
checksum changes. Thus, how will program updates work, particularly updates for uncommon applications on your network?
How can an AV vendor manage the process of white list updates centrally? How would the exceptions model work: how much
control do you give to the end user to make exceptions? How could a white listing system be flexible enough to respond
to computer changes, but rigid enough to detect bad changes?

 A well architected border firewall will not likely change too often, because core infrastructure is relatively stable.
The desktop of an end-user, particularly faculty, changes relatively frequently. Thus, how can white listing
effectively manage change?

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College