Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Snort Performance Stats

From: Mike Lococo <mike.lococo () NYU EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 11:38:46 -0400

Does anyone know of a good tool that can be used to generate graphical
outputs of snorts statistics file. I’m not talking about the “alerts”
file but the file used to report snorts overall stats when you enable the:

preprocessor perfmonitor: time 300 file /etc/snort/stats/snort.stats
pktcnt 10000

I want to be able to create graphical stats on this file similar to what
“snortalog” does for the alerts file.

We use Zabbix for all of our system monitoring and graphing, and are generally happy with it. In order to monitor snort stats, you need a "user-parameter" that executes a tail -n1 (to get the most recent line) piped into an awk (to print a particular column). The syntax is a little funny because both Zabbix user-params and awk use '$' as a special character, but it's not too bad and once you've got it sorted out you can re-use the pattern on pretty much any numeric logfile.

The initial setup for Zabbix is non-trivial, but as system-monitoring systems go I think it has a relatively gentle learning curve. Once you're past the deployment hump, though, you'll pretty much never ask "how do I collect/process status data for X" again.

Cheers,
Mike Lococo