Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Are users right in rejecting security advice?

From: Steven Alexander <alexander.s () MCCD EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:34:11 -0700

People ignore policies every day for a variety of reasons.  In an ideal world, they shouldn't.  But in the very
imperfect world we live in, they will violate them, rightfully or not.  If we want to ensure compliance, we need to
better understand why people violate policies.  That's not to say that some violations aren't actionable, some are.
But, we need to make sure that employees know the policies, understand them, and aren't too inhibited from doing their
work  by adhering to them.  We don't hire people to follow policies, we hire them to teach, counsel students, write
grant applications, etc.  The employees we hire are judged based on how well they perform the jobs they were hired for,
not how well they follow policy.  In most cases, the only time any employee is judged on his or her policy compliance
is when he or she is disciplined.  We can't expect people to force themselves into blind compliance when their only
real incentive is not to do something that will get them in trouble.

Steven Alexander Jr.
Online Education Systems Manager
Merced College