Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email account used by multiple people

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:21:04 +1300

On 12/03/2010, at 9:04 AM, Kenneth Arnold wrote:

What is your policy regarding the creation of an email address to be
shared by several users such that each person has the password to the
account?  I am not referring to an alias that can distribute email to
multiple people but an actual account with a password.  I have been
resistant to the creation of these accounts because I feel that there is
no accountability for what is done with the account because many people
share it.  I am getting requests to create these types of accounts and I
would like to know how other schools deal with this issue.

we have found that most legitimate business need are handled by creating mailboxes that are shared at the server (i.e.
IMAP or Exchange level).   Typically need is for PA to access Dean/Hod/senior manager email.

This model also works for service type accounts -- when a user is to deal with an incoming email they can move it out
into their own inbox.

Russell