Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: recommendations for an SSH client?

From: Patrick P Murphy <pmurphy () NRAO EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:31:47 -0500

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:46:14 -0500, Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU> said:

On 23 February 2010 10:07, Tim Cline <tcline () email unc edu> wrote:

I would be interested in hearing your opinions about what SSH client

The next issue with putty is that it is *only* SSH. The project
provides pscp but it's a command line application (even under
Windows).

It also has (or had) psftp, a secure ftp command line client.  This
assumes the server on the remote end has that functionality, usually via
a line:

   Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server

in the sshd_config file.

For whatever it's worth, I concur with the other posters; you'll have a
tough time finding something to match all requirements.  I suspect your
RedHat and Ubuntu users will mostr likely not even want a GUI, whereas
your Windows users will probably prefer one.

Also note that for most Linux distros, ssh and sshd come bundled; the
security and bug fix updates, if any, come through the regular OS update
channels for the distribution (apt, yum, etc).

 - Pat

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.   Webmaster (East), Computing Security Manager
 http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/          http://chien-noir.com/maze.shtml
                                    -- Thomas Jefferson, August 13, 1813