Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Waiver of responsibility for emailed PHI

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:56:58 -0600

That's a "ask your legal counsel" question.   With that said, my understanding is:

In our HIPAA training, if it's misrouted to someone covered by our HIPAA policies, training, etc (I mailed Dr. Green in
PEDS rather than RADIOLOGY), it's incidental and not a breach and the recipient just needs to deleted.   If it's sent
to someone not covered (like the mystery DrGreen () yahoo com<mailto:DrGreen () yahoo com>), then it is a breach.

I think your case really comes down to what did that waiver waive and could they waive that right and where in that
chain did the mistake happen. Is it the recipients lack of security for their mailbox or something else?  Again, back
to ask your legal counsel.