Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: Kevin Kelly <kck () IAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:55:26 -0500

Hi,

We name our servers according to bodies of water (e.g.  Stream, Draw, Moat, etc.) or things related to water or the
weather (e.g. Tide, Wind, Storm, etc.).  Given the number of servers that we have (approx. 40 - 45), we can follow this
naming convention fairly easily.  Best of all, this naming convention does not provide any sort of clue as to what
services are provided by the individual servers.

Some other naming conventions that I have come across include:

1.  Capital cities across the world (a list is available at
http://geography.about.com/od/countryinformation/a/capitals.htm)
2.  Crayola Crayon colors (a list is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Crayola_crayon_colors)
3.  Greek Gods (e.g. Hercules, Zeus, etc.)
4.  Items that make up the universe (e.g. Star, Jupiter, Mars, etc.).

We have a different naming convention for our client workstations.  I'd be happy to share that with you offline if you
are interested.

Thanks,

Kevin Kelly
Institute for Advanced Study