Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mass E-mail to Students, Staff, and Faculty

From: Barbara Ann Torney <bt42 () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 21:20:27 -0500

We also use listservs (Lyris) created from our ERP.  Those for employees
and the main ones for students are uni-driectional, and are used only for
announcements.  The administrators of the lists (the only ones allowed to
send to them) are limited to the offices concerned with those populations.
Lists organized by major are administered by the academic departments, and
college-wide lists belong to central administrative offices.

In general, if an academic program wants to mail to all students, they
have to go through the Provost's office, who will send it out.  For
student groups, only the Student Senate can mail to all students.  other
student groups go through Student Activities, which generally incorporates
their announcements into their weekly email to all students.

Employee lists are also available to the relevant unions or professional
organization, and the faculty list is open to all faculty to send, but
very few administrators.

I bet we have a policy somewhere, but I think it deals more with what
kinds of things can be sent out (nothing for profit, etc., etc.).  We
really control things mostly by restricting who can send to the lists.

We are looking to implement a "message center" function within our portal
that will allow people to sign up for various kinds of announcements in
addition to the official ones (personal classified, certain kinds of
events, etc.), and we expect to move many of the things that currently go
out through email lists to the portal.  Since receiving these channels
will be voluntary, we do not expect to obsess so much about who can send
what in this arena.

Regards, bat

PS - We are a fairly small graduate school, so it's probably easier for us
to make restrictions without causing a bottleneck or getting too complex.