Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Discontinuing student email service

From: Eric Case <ecase () EMAIL ARIZONA EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:11:25 -0700

True the implementation is not free but is less than 1% of the savings.

Arizona State University saves
        "almost $500,000/year, about $400,00/year"
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x2fJRW_vvQ>
        over $353,000/year
<http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/edu/customers/pdfs/asu_success_story.p
df>
        $500,000/year
<http://www.amazon.com/Google-Apps-Deciphered-Compute-Streamline/dp/product-
description/0137004702>

"Michigan district saves $400,000/year with Google Apps Education Edition"
<http://www.districtadministration.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=2291>.

If the rest of the equation is the same, you still save more than disk
space.  You get the rest of the suite, which brings more value than just
email.  Perhaps adding potential you could not afford to offer.

One reason to keep faculty and staff in house is to not pay for archiving,
etc.  Some institutions have move all users to the cloud and not paid for
archiving, etc. because of their policies.

I would suggest everyone on the list subscribe to the EDUCAUSE CIO list
<http://www.educause.edu/CIOConstituentGroup/965>, if for no other reason
than to know what your CIO is seeing in the "big picture."  This and similar
topics are discussed at the 30,000-foot level.  One of today topics was
"'Local list serve or hosted?'  You moved your email to the cloud.  What
about your list servs?"

If you want to know more about Policy and Law, subscribe to the ICPL list
<http://www.educause.edu/PolicyAndLawConstituentGroup/976>.

On the other hand, you can delete this email, put your head in the sand and
complain that "they" do not get it.
-Eric

Eric Case, CISSP
eric (at) ericcase (dot) com