Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Video Surveillance Requirements

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:46:31 -0500

We interrupt this program for a commercial message ...

Nanny-Cam May Leave a Home Exposed

Nanny-Cam May Leave a Home Exposed Sat Apr 13, 2:55 PM ET By JOHN SCHWARTZ The New York Times

Thousands of people who have installed a popular wireless video camera, intending to increase the security of their
homes and offices, have instead unknowingly
opened a window on their activities to anyone equipped with a cheap receiver.

The wireless video camera, which is heavily advertised on the Internet, is intended to send its video signal to a
nearby base station, allowing it to be viewed
on a computer or a television. But its signal can be intercepted from more than a quarter-mile away by off-the-shelf
electronic equipment costing less than
$250.

A recent drive around the New Jersey suburbs with two security experts underscored the ease with which a digital
eavesdropper can peek into homes where the
cameras are put to use as video baby monitors and inexpensive security cameras.

The rangy young driver pulled his truck around a corner in the well-to-do suburban town of Chatham and stopped in front
of an unpretentious home. A window on
his laptop's screen that had been flickering suddenly showed a crisp black-and-white video image: a living room, seen
from somewhere near the floor. Baby toys
were strewn across the floor, and a woman sat on a couch.

After showing the nanny-cam images, the man, a privacy advocate who asked that his name not be used, drove on, scanning
other homes and finding a view from
above a back door and of an empty crib.

In the nearby town of Madison, from the parking lot of a Staples store, workers could be observed behind the cash
register. The driver walked into the Staples
and pointed up at a corner of the room. "Take a look," he said. Above the folded-back steel security shutters was a
nubbin of technology: a barely perceptible
video camera looking down on the employees.

"I can only imagine driving around the Bay Area with one of these," said Aviel D. Rubin, a security researcher at AT&T
Labs who was along for the ride.

<http://www.securityprousa.com/nanmayleavho.html>

... and now back to our regularly scheduled program. ... Joel