Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Video Surveillance Requirements

From: "Drews, Jane E" <jane-drews () UIOWA EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:07:18 -0600

Ed,
We developed a Video Surveillance guideline document that is specific to our central IT organization, because we could
not find a lot of guidance for questions we had.  Our committee considered things such as whether the video was passive
(non-recorded) or recorded (perhaps for law enforcement or policy violation purposes), its directionality, signage
requirements, access control (who can view the video, how long its retained, and the process for requesting), and
whether video was to be in a normally "occupied/staffed" area.  There are employee and others' privacy considerations
to think through.   We also prohibit capturing audio, except on individual basis when there is consent.  Instructional
content was not considered to be within scope.   I recommend you consult with your institution's counsel and perhaps
law enforcement.

Non-recorded "webcam" video is typically more open & perhaps public viewable - ie  at a construction site, where you
are not monitoring workers but rather "progress," or aimed at a place to see the current weather.  But this is
typically not high enough quality to identify individuals.

For security reasons we often point cameras at entrances (ie at a data center door)  to record who enters/leaves, but
not to monitor people's activity once inside.  If there are people involved I'm thinking you need to have prominent
signage to warn that they are being monitored.

Jane Drews
Univ of Iowa