Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI compliance on a university network

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 22:40:26 -0500

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:58:01 EST, Scott Sweren said:
PCI had always instructed that the auditor needed to be comfortable that
segmentation was really in place.  While it may be, if the company could
not adequately demonstrate that, then the auditor could state so in the
report.  Demonstration is through providing the ACL lists, showing
reviews and approvals were done as required, etc.

What a wimpy demonstration. :)

Maybe I watch too much Mythbusters, but where I come from, if somebody says
some glass is bulletproof, it's time to haul a few samples to the range
and point various calibers at it.  Seems if somebody claims segmentation is
there, it's time to break out some high-caliber packet generators and
verify the ACLs the dastardly way. ;)

(Oh no, the firewall would *never* accept a forged packet on the exterior
side with source and dest addresses both inside, right?  Right? ;)