Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Self Service password Resets

From: "Tupker, Mike" <mtupker () MTMERCY EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:04:12 -0500

We were using SSRPM from tools4ever<http://www.tools4ever.com/products/self-service-reset-password-management/>.
Despite the name a pretty good product.  There is a GINA addon for windows but no MAC desktop app. There is also a web
interface. We decided on this one because when used in concert with one of their other products it can kick off scripts
or other tasks, which we used to pass password reset information to google apps accounts. Beware though, licensing is
done per active directory user object. If the number of user objects in your entire domain exceeds your license the
software will stop working (including service accounts). The software also didn't require an AD schema change which was
nice. (I'm probably being a little paranoid but I really don't like doing non-MS required schema changes to AD).

In short it worked pretty well for our needs, but the licensing requirements got us in the end, so we are also in the
market for a new self service password system.