Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Network config monitoring and auditing software

From: Greg Vickers <g.vickers () QUT EDU AU>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:21:46 +1000

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Halgren wrote:
We're looking at software to help with monitoring and auditing changes
to firewall and switch configurations.  I'd be interested to hear what
others out there are using, how happy you are with the product, and any
additional functionality your product has that you have found useful.
I'd also be interested in products that have a broad range of
interoperability with different vendor products.

Our environment is largely Cisco.  The firewalls are Cisco ASAs with a
couple of older Cisco PIX firewalls still in service.  Core switches are
Cisco with some Foundry/Brocade devices at the edge.

We are about to start a project to build such a system[0] - we weren't
able to find a commercial product that would suit our requirements.

[0] We have an old system in place to manage firewall entries and
display vulnerability results, but it's >8 years old and can't be beaten
into shape any more, so we're starting from scratch.

Cheers.
--
Greg Vickers
Phone: +61 7 3138 6902