Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Does anyone ask individuals to reimburse the cost of lost laptops?

From: Adam Stone <adstone () LBL GOV>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:20:29 -0700

I know this is an odd question (sort of a property management
question), but we are being asked to evaluate this policy and I was
curious if any comparable R&E institution has such a policy.

Do any of your organizations ask employees to reimburse the
institution for the cost of a lost/stolen laptop if negligence appears
to be involved in the loss?  (Of course one person's negligence is
another's mistake).

My assumption is no, but I would like to hear from anyone who does (or
has a variation on such a policy).

FWIW: My own perspective is that punishing people for taking
productivity devices with them so they can be productive is likely
counterproductive, but I'm trying to respond to others who think this
is a good idea...

Thanks in advance,
as

Adam Stone, PhD
Policy, Assurance, and Risk Management, Office of the CIO
Berkeley Lab, University of California
510.486.4650(o) 510.593.7507(c) http://www.lbl.gov/CIO/Policy/