Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remote Access for Library Resources Alternatives

From: Kenneth Arnold <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:15:34 -0500

We have been using EZProxy at Christian Brothers University for a long
time and have been very happy with it.  We have it running on a Solaris
machine which is the same machine that is running the library software.
Set up is easy and all that is required to make it work is to change the
URL on the web page to reference the proxy server.  If the person is
within our network then the proxy server is bypassed.  Someone outside
of our network must login.  We have authentication based on pop3.  You
can also exempt some internal IP addresses to make them work like
outside IP addresses for testing purposes.

Miller,James R wrote:

We are currently looking for an alternative solution for off campus
users to access Library resources. There are many complaints about the
difficulty of setting up their VPN clients and the Library would like
to look at something that may be an easier solution. Since many of the
library resources require the user to be coming from our University
subnet, I have looked at a couple of options. One of them being
EZProxy, from OCLC.org

Does anyone have any experience with this product or perhaps have an
alternative solution in place?

Thanks,

Jim Miller

/Jim Miller/