Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remote Access for Library Resources Alternatives

From: Ryan Fox <rfox () FINDLAY EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:56:55 -0400

Miller,James R wrote:

We are currently looking for an alternative solution for off campus
users to access Library resources. There are many complaints about the
difficulty of setting up their VPN clients and the Library would like
to look at something that may be an easier solution. Since many of the
library resources require the user to be coming from our University
subnet, I have looked at a couple of options. One of them being
EZProxy, from OCLC.org

Does anyone have any experience with this product or perhaps have an
alternative solution in place?

We switched from requiring VPN to EZProxy about 2 years ago.  It's been
great for us.  Usage increased dramatically, and we haven't had any
problems with the EZProxy software.

We've also setup shibboleth for a provider or 2 that supports it.
Shibboleth is probably a more correct technical solution (as it doesn't
require the traffic from an external user to an external site to
traverse your network), but, adaption for library service providers has
been slow, and we've found the bandwidth to be negligible.

Thanks,
Ryan